An up-to-date list of publications and presentations is available in my CV. Where possible, full text of articles is made available on this page.
- Mitchell, Erik. Metadata Standards and Web Services in Libraries, Archives and Museums. In press, anticipated October 2015. Libraries Unlimited. http://www.abc-clio.com/LibrariesUnlimited/product.aspx?pc=A4144P
- Mitchell, Erik. Cloud-based solutions for your library: A Lita Guide. 2013. Neal-Schuman: New York. http://www.alastore.ala.org/detail.aspx?ID=4218
- Mitchell, Erik. Library Linked Data: Updates on projects and standards. Library Technology Reports, In development. Anticipated January 2016.
- Mitchell, Erik. Library Linked Data: Research and adoption. Library Technology Reports, Volume 49 Number 5. July 2013.
- Mitchell, Erik. What cloud computing means for libraries. Chapter in Getting Started with Cloud Computing. Edited by Edward M. Corrado and Heather Lea Moulaison. Neal-Schuman. 2011
- Smith, Susan, Erik Mitchell and Caroline Numbers. (2007). Building Library 2.0 into Information Literacy: A Case Study. In L.B. Cohen (Ed.), Library 2.0 initiatives in academic libraries. Chicago: Association of College and Research Libraries.
- Smith, Susan and Erik Mitchell. Putting on a Race for Fun and Funds. In Mary Krautter, Mary Beth Lock and Mary G. Scanlon (Eds.). The Entrepreneurial Librarian. Jefferson, NC. McFarland. 2012
Peer reviewed articles
- Mitchell, Erik. Reflective course construction: An analysis of student feedback and its role in curricular design. Education for Information. Volume 30, No 3-4. Dec 2013.
Mitchell, Erik and Derrik Hiatt. Using POGIL Techniques in an Information Literacy Curriculum. Journal of Academic Librarianship. 36/6. November 2010, 539-42. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.acalib.2010.08.010 (Impact factor .870).
- Mitchell, Erik. Using cloud services for library IT infrastructure. Code4Lib Journal. Issue 9. 2010. http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/2510.
- Susan Smith and Erik Mitchell. Bringing information literacy into the social sphere: A case study using social software to teach information literacy at WFU. Journal of Web Librarianship. 3/3. July-September 2009.
- Mitchell, Erik and Kevin Gilbertson. Using open source software as a digital library interface: A case study. D-Lib magazine.14 3/4. March/April 2008. http://www.dlib.org/dlib/march08.
- Mitchell, Erik, and Cristina Yu. Bringing delivery into the fold: A discussion of cross-departmental document delivery service implementation in academic libraries. Journal of Access Services. 5/1-2. 2007. Co published as a chapter in Best practice in access service. Edited by Lori Driscoll.
- Mitchell, Erik. Integrating Library Services: A Proposal to Enable Federation of Information and User Services. Internet Reference Service Quarterly. 12.3/4, 2007. Co-published as a chapter in Federated Search: Solution or Setback for Online Library Services.
Invited articles and recurring columns
- Mitchell, Erik. Reproducibility and its application to technical service processes. Technical Services Quarterly. In press 32:4. 2015
- Mitchell, Erik and Jeffery Loo. On the value of shelf reading: Exploring methods behind and impact of inventory management. Technical Services Quarterly. 32:3. 2015.
- Mitchell, Erik. The registries of shared print and shared digital archives: What they mean for libraries. Technical Services Quarterly. 32:2, 2015.
- Mitchell, Lisa and Erik Mitchell. Using SoTL as a lens to reflect and explore for innovation in education and librarianship. Technical Services Quarterly. 32:1. 2015.
- Mitchell, Erik. Trending Tech Services: Exploring shared print collections: A study of data sources. Technical Services Quarterly. 21:4. 2014.
- Mitchell, Erik. Trending Tech Services: Library and IT curriculum integration, Part II: Supporting learning through virtual computing. Technical Services Quarterly. 31:3. 2014
- Mitchell, Erik. Trending Tech Services: Library and IT curriculum integration, Part I: The case for a designed curriculum. Technical Services Quarterly. 31:2. 2014.
- Mitchell, Erik. Trending Tech Services: Rethinking the tech in tech services: Programming as a curriculum integrated element of knowledge organization disciplines and the impact on student learning, literacy and professional preparedness. Technical Services Quarterly. 31:1. 2014.
- Mitchell, Erik. Trending tech services: Metadata use in everyday situations: What does it mean for libraries? 30:4. 2013.
- Mitchell, Erik. Data building blocks. American Libraries. July/August 2013. 24.
- Mitchell, Erik. Programmatic tools and the implications of automation in the next generation of metadata. Technical Services Quarterly. 30(3).
- Mitchell, Erik. Linked Data Publishing for Libraries, Archives and Museums: What is the next step?. web.tech.lib column. Journal of Web Librarianship. 7(1).
- Mitchell, Erik. Assessing the Value of Metadata in Information Services. Technical Services Quarterly. 30(2). In Press.
- Mitchell, Erik. Is RDA ready? : An analysis of case studies on RDA testing. Technical Services Quarterly. 30(1).
- Mitchell, Erik. Data and the Shift in Systems, Services, and Literacy. web.tech.lib column. Journal of Web Librarianship. 6(4).
- Mitchell, Erik. Why digital data collections are important. web.tech.lib column. Journal of Web Librarianship. 6(3).
- Mitchell, Erik. Information services using cloud computing: balancing issues and implications in decision making. PanLibus Magazine. 21. Spring 2012, 14-15.
- Mitchell, Erik. Leveraging metadata to create better web services. web.tech.lib column. Journal of Web Librarianship. 6(2).
- Mitchell, Erik. Redundancy and Replication Make your Site Stress-Free. web.tech.lib column. Journal of Web Librarianship. 5:3. 253-55. 2011.
- Mitchell, Erik. The Organizational Role of Web Services. web.tech.lib column. Journal of Web Librarianship. 5:2, 146-51. 2011.
- Mitchell, Erik. Leveraging Site-Search and analytics to maintain a user-centric focus. web.tech.lib column. Journal of web Librarianship. 5:1, 68-71. 2011
- Mitchell, Erik. Standards, Efficiency and the Evolution of Web Design. web.tech.lib series. Journal of Web Librarianship. 4:4. 2010
- Mitchell, Erik. Library Intranets: Something this popular has to be good, web.tech.lib series. Journal of Web Librarianship. 4/2&3. April 2010. pp. 283-6.
- Mitchell, Erik. Going cloud for web services. web.tech.lib series. Journal of Web Librarianship. 4:1. 2010.
- Mitchell, Erik. Exploring the role of metadata in health information applications. UK Health Informatics Newsletter. Fall 2008. http:// www.chime.ucl.ac.uk/ukhit/UKHIT572-autumn-2008.pdf
Refereed Conference Papers, Presentations, and Posters with Published Proceedings
- Mitchell, Erik, Kanti Srikantiaiah, Susan Rathbun-Grubb, Heather Lea Moulaison and Jane Greenberg. Spanning Boundaries and Disciplines: Linked, Open and Cloud-based Community Metadata (SIG/CR). ASIS&T Annual Conference. Montreal, CA. November 1-5, 2013.
- Mitchell, Erik. Computing labs in the cloud: A case study analysis of virtual computing in education. 2nd International Conference on Academic Libraries. New Delhi, India. February 12-15, 2013. http://www.ipu.ac.in/ical2013/index.htm
- Mitchell, Erik and Carolyn McCallum. Old Data, New Scheme: An Exploration of Metadata Migration Using Expert-guided Computational Techniques. ASIS&T Annual Conference. Baltimore, MD. October 26-30, 2012 http://www.asis.org/asist2012/abstracts/91.html
- Heather Lea Moulaison, Susan Rathbun-Grubb, June Abbas, Jane Greenberg, Kathryn La Barre, Eva Mendez Rodriguez, Erik Mitchell and Alenka Sauperl. Emerging Trends in Metadata Research. ASIS&T Annual Conference. Baltimore, MD. October 26-30, 2012. http://www.asis.org/asist2012/abstracts/174.html.
- Erik Mitchell and T. Kanti Srikantaiah. L.A. Meta (data): Exploring vocabulary interoperability in Libraries, Archives and Museums. ASIS&T Annual Conference. Baltimore, MD. October 26-30, 2012. http://www.asis.org/asist2012/abstracts/230.html.
- Mitchell, Erik Carolyn McCallum and Patty Strickland. Application of FRBR to existing MARC data: A Comparison of Outcomes. ASIS&T Annual Conference. New Orleans, LA. October 9-12 2011. http://www.asis.org/asist2011/posters/150_FINAL_SUBMISSION.pdf
- Mitchell, Erik, Organization as meta-literacy: evaluating student use of metadata and information organization principles in the classroom. Poster presentation at American Society for Information Science Conference, Classification Research Workshop. October 20th, 2007.
Refereed Conference Papers, Presentations, and Posters without Published Proceedings
- Rowlison de Ortiz, Lisa and Erik Mitchell. Linked Open Data, Implications for UC libraries. Co-workshop coordinator. Berkeley, CA May 2015.
Mitchell, Erik. Building cloud-based computing environments for museum services, a Workshop. Museums and the Web 2013. Portland, OR. Wednesday April 17th, 2013.
- Mitchell, Erik and Jeffery Loo. Understanding data services in distributed and collaborative research settings. LITA National Forum 2012. Columbus, OH. October 4-7.
- Salaba, Athena, Carolyn McCallum, Erik Mitchell, Jennifer Bowen, Thomas Hickey, and Yin Zhang. Current research on and use of FRBR in libraries. ALA National Conference, Anaheim, CA, June 24, 2012. http://ala12.scheduler.ala.org/m/node/255.
- Mitchell, Erik, Yan Han, Declan Fleming and David Minor. Updates on Cloud Computing Uses for Library Services. ALA National Conference, Anaheim, CA, June 24, 2012. http://ala12.scheduler.ala.org/m/node/856
- Mitchell, Erik. LITA Pre-conference on Cloud Computing. LITA National Forum 2011. St. Louis, MO. September 29 & 30. http://www.erikmitchell.info/selected-publications-presentations/lita-2011-pre-conference-on-cloud-computing/.
- Mitchell, Erik and Susan Smith. Data Visualization and Digital Humanities Research: A Survey of Available Datasets and Tools. LITA National Forum, St. Louis MO September 29-30, 2011.
- Mitchell, Erik, Yan Han, Krista Stapelfeldt, Carrissa Smith and Chris Tonjes. Updates on Cloud Computing Uses for Library Services. ALA National Conference, New Orleans, LA, June 25, 2011. http://connect.ala.org/node/137568
- Mitchell, Erik, Birong Ho and Scott Garrison. Does VuFind meet the need of web 2.0 users? A year after. ALA National Conference. New Orleans, LA, June 26, 2011.
- Mitchell, Erik. Transformative Technology: How Cloud Computing Helps Higher Education Rebalance IT Resources. EDUCAUSE Southeast. Charlotte, NC June 2, 2011.
- Mitchell, Lisa and Erik Mitchell. The iPad Goes to School: Mobile-Touch Technology in Educational Settings. EDUCAUSE Southeast Conference, Charlotte, NC. June 2, 2011.
- Mitchell, Erik. Code4Lib Preconference on using Amazon Web Services. Code4Lib 2011. Bloomington, Indiana. February 7, 2011. http://www.erikmitchell.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/code4lib_tutorials.pdf.
- Mitchell, Erik, Kevin Gilbertson, Jean-Paul Bessou. Making your IT Skills Virtual: Tools for learning how to implement and manage cloud based services. LITA National Forum. Atlanta, GA, Oct 1, 2010.
- Mitchell, Erik. Generalizing mobile applications for multiple libraries. LITA National Forum. Atlanta, GA, Oct 2, 2010.
- Mitchell, Erik (Organizer), Marshall Breeding, Rosalyn Metz, Terry Reese and Leslie Johnson. Cloud computing for library services. ALA Annual meeting, Washington DC. June 2010.
- Mitchell, Erik and Susan Smith. #Socstrat leveraging social and mobile technologies in experiential courses. Educuase Southeast conference. June 3, 2010. Atlanta, GA. http://www.educause.edu/Resources/LeveragingSocialandMobileTechn/206215
- Mitchell, Erik. DigitalForsyth and learning: A presentation to Winston Salem Forsyth County School system leaders. August 5th, 2009. Reagan High School.
- Lock, Mary Beth, Susan Smith & Erik Mitchell. Competing for fun and funds; the first annual Wake the library 5K. Presentation. Inspiration, Innovation, Celebration: an entrepreneurial conference for librarians. Greensboro, NC June 2009
- Mitchell, Erik, Kevin Gilbertson. DigitalForsyth: An NCEcho funded collaborative digital library. Presentation. Launc-CH. Chapel Hill, NC March 2009.
- Mitchell, Erik, Susan Smith, and Caroline Numbers. Bringing Information Literacy into the Social Sphere: A Case Study Using Social Software to Teach Information Literacy at Wake Forest University. Presentation. LITA national forum. Cincinnati, OH October 2008.
- Mitchell, Erik, and Melissa Thibault. Using digital libraries to support curricula: A case study of the collaboration between DigtialForsyth and Learn NC. Presentation. NCAECT annual meeting. Concord, NC March 13, 2008.
- Lauren Pressley and Mitchell, Erik. Social Software and the future of libraries. Presentation. Solinet Annual Users Meeting. May 11-12, 2007. Atlanta, GA
- Mitchell, Erik. Using EBL practices in strategic planning. Poster presentation. EBLIP conference. May 7-9, 2007. Chapel Hill, NC
- Mitchell, Erik. Integrated Library Services. Poster presentation. LITA national forum. Oct 28th, 2006. Nashville, TN.
Invited Talks and Presentations
- Mitchell, Erik, Philip Stark, Carol, Betsy Wilson, Stephanie Wright. 2015. The data science initiatives at UW, NYU, and UCB. ARL conference, 2015. Berkeley, CA.
- Mitchell, Erik. Formation of professional identity and expertise in LIS: A study of core curricula. Presentation in the UC Berkeley iSchool Research Exchange symposium. Wednesday April 16, 2014.
- Mitchell, Erik, Quinn Dombrowski, Joan Star, Patrick Schmitz, Eric Schmidt. Roundtable discussion: Logistics of initiating, sustaining and validating a digital humanities project. University of California, Berkeley April 4, 2014. http://arthistory.berkeley.edu/events/event/2118336-humanities-2-0-new-tools-for-the
- Mitchell, Erik. Linked Data in core LIS curricula. LITA/ALCTS Linked Library Data Interest Group. ALA Midwinter 2014. January 26, 2014. Philadelphia, PA
- Mitchell, Erik. Digital Collections Panel. Information Without Borders 2013. Halifax, Nova Scotia. Dalhousie University. February 7th, 2013
- Mitchell, Erik. Embracing the Cloud: Real Life Examples of Library Cloud Implementation. NISO webinar. February 8, 2012. http://www.niso.org/news/events/2012/nisowebinars/embracing_the_cloud
- Mitchell, Erik. Exploring the landscape of cloud computing adoption. Library services in the cloud. Online course through Infopeople. December 1, 2011. http://infopeople.org/training/lib_services_cloud.
- Mitchell, Erik. A View of Cloud Computing Adoption. Midwest Cooperative Library Services Annual Meeting. Lansing, MI. October 6, 2011.
- Mitchell, Erik and Andrew Pace. Library in the Clouds: Clouds Computing and Its Impact on Library Services. American Association of Law Librarians annual meeting. July 24, 2011.
- Mitchell, Erik. LITA Top Technology Trends panel. ALA Midwinter, 2011 conference. San Diego, CA. January 9, 2011.
- Mitchell, Erik. Reading the silver lining: The potential of cloud computing for libraries. Indiana Online Users Group Meeting. Keynote presentation. Indianapolis, IN. 5 Nov, 2010. http://www.slideshare.net/mitcheet/read-the-silver-lining-the-potential-of-cloud-computing-for-libraries.
- Mitchell, Erik. Library services through cloud computing: Case studies on services, platforms and infrastructure. Invited talk. University of California at Berkeley. July 27, 2010.
- Mitchell, Erik and Earl Smith. Social Stratification in the American South – using technology to enhance service learning. TRI-IT conference. March, 31 2010. Winston Salem, NC. http://prezi.com/kdftrfri437g/
- Mitchell, Erik. DigitalForsyth and Open Access: A presentation during the Sun/ SPARC OA Week Kick-off Presentation and Presentation of DuraSpace OA Week Winners. Sun in Education Webinar Series. Oct 14th, 2009. http://www.education-webevents.com/
- Garrett, Andrew, Ira Jackins and Erik Mitchell. Linguistic and ethnographic sound recordings from early twentieth-century California: Optical scanning, digitization, and access. National Science Foundation and National Endowment for the Humanities. Awarded Spring 2015.
- Perlmutter, Saul, Joshua Bloom, Henry Brady, Cathryn Carson, David Culler, Michael Franklin, Erik Mitchell, Fernando Perez, Jasjeet Sekhon, James Sethian, Kimmen Sjolander, Philip Stark and Ion Stoica. Berkeley Institute for Data Science. Alfred P. Sloan Foundation and Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation. Awarded Fall 2013.
Completed grants and awards
- Mitchell, Erik. Amazon EC2 Education Grant, $2,000 – University of California, Berkeley Spring 2015
- Mitchell, Erik and Michael Kurtz. Curate cloud: Building digital curation excellence through professional education, cloud computing and community outreach. IMLS proposal in the Laura Bush 21st Century Professional program. Awarded Spring 2013. Requested amount: $452,716.Mitchell, Erik. Amazon EC2 Education Grant, $3,000 – University of Maryland, Spring 2014
- Mitchell, Erik. Amazon EC2 Education Research Grant, $10,000. – University of Maryland Fall 2011
- Mitchell, Erik. Amazon EC2 Education Grant, $3,500 – University of Maryland, Fall 2011
- Mitchell, Erik and Susan Smith. Technology exploration grant – $2,500 Wake Forest University, June 2011
- Mitchell, Erik and Susan Smith. Technology exploration grant – $3,000 Wake Forest University, June 2010
- Mitchell, Erik. DuraSpace Open Access Week Award – DigitalForsyth project, 2009
- Mitchell, Erik and Susan Smith. LSTA grant – DigitalForsyth, a community digital library, Wake Forest University, 2006-2008
- Mitchell, Erik and Susan Smith. LSTA grant – EAD migration project, Wake Forest University, 2003
- Mitchell, Erik and Susan Smith. LSTA grant – Samuel and Sara Wait collection, Wake Forest University, 2002
- Gulledge, Jim and Erik Mitchell. LSTA grant – Library infrastructure grant, Pfeiffer University, 1998
- Mitchell, Erik and Kanti Srikantaiah. Metadata Enhanced for Computational Research (MECR): Transformative open data. IMLS proposal in the National Leadership program. Submitted February 2013. Requested amount: $248,816.
- Mitchell, Erik and Jimmy Lin. CI-P: Cloud-based virtual computing labs to support education and research. National Science Foundation proposal in the Computing Infrastructure program. Submitted October 2012. Requested amount: $98,709
Editorships, Editorial Boards, & Reviewing Activities
- Editorial Board member Technical Services Quarterly
- Editorial Board Member Journal of Web Librarianship 2010-2014
Manuscript/Proposal Reviewer for:
- ACM Computing Surveys
- Journal of Web Librarianship
- Technical Services Quarterly
- Paper reviewer, iConference 2013
- Paper reviewer, Open Repositories
- Paper reviewer, ASIST Conference 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Graduate Courses Taught
- Creating Information Infrastructures (LBSC671)
University of Maryland. Fall 2013, Spring 2014, Fall 2014, Spring 2015, Fall 2015, Spring 2016
- Seminar in Technical Services (LBSC783) University of Maryland. Spring 2012, Spring 2013.
- Organization of Information (LBSC 670) University of Maryland. Fall 2011, Spring 2012, Fall 2012, Winter 2013.
- Indexing and Abstracting University of North Carolina at Greensboro (School of Library and Information Science) Online (Fall 2007, Spring 2010)
- Information Organization University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (School of Information and Library Science) (INLS 520) (Fall 2007, 2008)
- Internet Applications University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (School of Information and Library Science)(INLS 572) (Spring 2008)
Undergraduate Courses Taught
- Information Literacy Wake Forest University (Fall 2004, Spring 2005, Fall 2005, Spring 2006, Fall 2007, Spring 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009, Fall 2009, Fall 2010)
- Social Stratification in the American South Wake Forest University. Embedded Librarian in travelling course. May-June 2009.