In the summer of 2012 Google held an online instruction course called Google power searching. The course was developed using an interactive platform that featured text, video and skill-check questions. It also featured cumulative tests and time released activities. Google was the most recent player to enger the Massive Online Open Course and enrolled over 150,000 people in its course.
This past week Google released the software behind the power searching course. While interesting just because it is an alternative for teachers interested in creating interactive online learning environments, the Google application is unique in that it was designed to work on the Google Apps Engine platform. This platform features an integrated development and testing environment and is designed around a cloud platform that scales automatically.
A quick deployment of the instructional platform on GAE revealed some interesting features. First, the course instructional elements are contained in comma separated files and can be easily loaded into the course. This allows course designers to write text and record multi-media resources as needed while also providing a visually appealing and easy-to-use.
The tight integration between Google Apps Engine and the software however underscores the effectiveness of an open source platform that can be deployed without the overhead of IT environment customization and management. In addition, the reliance on the django development framework in Google Apps Engine enables automated administrative interfaces that would otherwise be far down on the development list in an application like this.
In attempting to map some of my existing course activities over to the platform I found that I often designed activities that were complex and larger in scale. Decomposing these activities into discrete step-by-step processes proved difficult in the Google platform. For example in a simple test with one part of a class (http://lbsc670.appspot.com/unit?unit=1&lesson=4) I found that some tasks were difficult to break down into manageable sizes.
A second challenge I ran into was the somewhat limited set of assessment tools. The platform features multiple choice, true/false and auto-assessed short answer questions but did not have functions to support creation of tables or matrices based on student exploration. In addition, only the quizzes gathered data on student activities and preserved it.
This past week I spent a few days in Baltimore during
Hurricane Sandy the ASIS&T 2012 conference. Other than some driving rain, a curfew during the second day of the conference and a few sandbags here and there the conference came off without any issues.
Both of the panels I was on had about half of the panelists come. This made time for extra questions and audience interaction! I enjoyed presenting my work and appreciate my co-presenter Kanti standing by our Poster when I had to get back to my hotel before curfew during the poster sessions. Here’s hoping that November in Montreal will be better weather!
At the DLF forum in Baltimore, MD last year I had the opportunity to speak with Trevor Owens from the Library of Congress about a new tool called ViewShare. ViewShare is a new type of digital library platform that features data importing, publication and visualization tools and seemed to be the perfect platform for a project in my course “Information Organization” at the University of Maryland.
Creating a digital library in ViewShare includes metadata modeling, data encoding rules, metadata interoperability and harvesting concepts (e.g. OAI-PMH) and turned out to be a good platform to get students to work with the concepts we touched on throughout the semester. A small scale project involving ViewShare was pretty successful in the spring.
I decided to re-work the experience for the Fall 2012 semester and expand on the data visualization functions of ViewShare, particularly as they relate to the design and implementation of cataloging processes. In preparation for the semester I created a worksheet to help guide the class through ViewShare (based largely on ViewShare tutorials)
As the summer has gotten well underway I have been working on getting ready for the fall and spending time exploring some new teaching ideas. I ran across the Google power searching class the other day and the librarian in me couldn’t resist finding out more about our favorite search engine.
The first lesson focuses on searching strategies and does a really nice job of integrating video instruction and hands on activities.
I was wondering how ‘advanced’ this class 1 would get when they introduced the idea of scoped searches using special tags (e.g., #hashtag, Google+).
At ALA last month I spent a few minutes in a literacy discussion where librarians were lamenting the fact that many of their patrons did not understand “find in page” functions such as Command-F/Ctrl-F. I was impressed to see that Google dedicated 7 minutes to this topic!
Today I had the pleasure of talking with a class on cloud computing run by Infopeople and coordinated by Roy Tennant. This was the first chance I have had to share the results of some of my research in cloud computing and chat with librarians about how they are using cloud computing.
Cloud computing adoption in libraries